JOB TITLE: DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR, ACADEMIC AFFAIRS (DVC-AA)
REPORTS TO: THE VICE CHANCELLOR
WORK TYPE: FULL-TIME
LOCATION: RIARA UNIVERSITY, MBAGATHI WAY, NAIROBI, KENYA
Riara University is a dynamic private university accredited by the Commission for University Education and the Council of Legal Education. It was established out of a sincere desire to provide a holistic approach in higher education. Ours is a concept that goes beyond the classroom, syllabus-based learning. It reaches out to provide stimulation and motivation for self-development and capacity for life-long education and empowerment. The University prides itself in very good partnerships with industry, high employability rates, and a fulfilling, collegial culture that empowers each individual to explore their full potential, and to develop values and networks that will underpin their actions through life.
B: JOB PURPOSE
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, the Deputy Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (DVC-AA) will provide leadership in the Academic Division of the University, encompassing all Schools and Programmes of the University, and all the support service units within the academic structure. The DVC will be responsible for ensuring that the academic function of the institution is distinct in meeting RU’s strategic aims consistent with the institutions core purpose, values, business plans and objectives.
C: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities of the DVC-AA will include, but not limited to:
- Formulating and implementing policies, regulations, standards and guidelines that create a framework for academic excellence, and the effective management, implementation and evaluation of academic programmes of the University.
- Active participation in the development and oversight over the strategic direction of the academic functions of the University, as demanded by a dynamic, ambitious institution.
- Development and implementation of student-centered, innovative and impactful programmes.
- Overseeing the recruitment, development, motivation, empowerment, and retention of faculty and other support staff.
- Developing, implementing and monitoring quality assurance systems that will enable RU continue to meet and exceed the highest standards of teaching, learning and scholarly outputs.
- Ensuring the University achieves and maintains the highest levels of local and global accreditation for its programmes and activities.
- Developing and maintaining collaboration and linkages with local and international institutions, industry, government, and the wider society.
- Planning, coordinating and evaluating the optimal use of instructional facilities and resources of the University in liaison with the Vice Chancellor, Deans, Heads of Departments and Programme Leaders.
- Any other responsibility as assigned by the Vice Chancellor and other relevant organs of the University.
D. ACADEMIC/PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS & WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. degree or equivalent from a recognized University.
- At least 7 years’ working experience in a recognized University at a senior level. (Dean, Principal / Deputy Principal of a Constituent College, Head/Chairperson of an Academic Department, among others)
- Must have demonstrable leadership through mentorship, research work, and/or knowledge dissemination.
- Must have an exemplary scholarly record as demonstrated by excellence in teaching and/or publications.
- Must show evidence of active engagements with diverse stakeholders such as establishment of partnerships, winning of grants, membership in professional associations, participation in conferences, service to communities, among others.
- Must have taught or supervised students at undergraduate or graduate levels.
- Should demonstrate knowledge of the structural and legislative provisions that govern the administration of University education in Kenya.
- Industry experts with teaching experience, and East African citizens in disapora are also encouraged to apply.
E. SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Outstanding people skills
- Proven skills in strategic management with the ability to formulate and communicate clear directions.
- Must exhibit strong leadership and administrative experience, with a go-getter attitude.
- Proven ability to develop, engage, relate with, and manage diverse stakeholders and partnerships.
- Demonstrable knowledge of academic programme development, implementation, management and assessment.
- Excellent communication, organization and multitasking skills.
- Ability to develop, mentor, inspire and mobilize others towards a common goal.
- Be of high ethical and integrity standards; must comply fully with Chapter Six of the Kenyan Constitution on Leadership and Integrity.
F. APPOINTMENT TERMS:
As per the Universities Act 2012, the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic Affairs) shall hold office for a duration of five (5) years with the possibility of a one-time renewal for a further term of five years subject to a positive appraisal. The University offers a very competitive remuneration package.
To apply for the position, please submit an application letter highlighting your motivation for the position, relevant experiences, and your concise vision for the academic division at Riara University. Please also attach a copy of your CV/Resume, as well as copies of academic qualifications and other relevant testimonials.
Please note that successful candidates may be required to submit some or all of the following clearances: Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority; Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board; Self-Declaration form from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission; Clearance from the Criminal Investigation Department (Certificate of Good Conduct).
Please submit your application by 12:00pm on Tuesday, 3rd January 2023 to below address;
The Vice Chancellor
P.O Box 49940-00100
Nairobi, Along Mbagathi
Soft copy applications can be emailed to; email@example.com